Monday, May 9, 2011

women to watch


When I was in film school, I would have had trouble naming 10 women directors off the top of my head, let alone 10 contemporary ones whose work interested me. As far as I can remember, we only studied Leni Riefenstahl and Maya Deren in my Film History classes (which is pathetic, now that I think back on it).

I was too in love with cinema and distracted with learning to pay attention to the gap. I never felt under-represented in my film school, since there were just as many of us girls as guys. As a young woman filmmaker, I was never intimidated by "gear" and could detect no discrimination whatsoever from funding agencies because of my sex.

Then, when I was touring with my medium-length documentary, I experienced my first taste of ignorant dismissal (it was unintentional, but that is perhaps the most dangerous kind): a female journalist kept passing the mic to my producer/husband instead of me. Yes, he contributed much to the film and was entirely familiar with the material, but I got more and more frustrated as she repeatedly passed over me, the creator, in favor of the man standing next to me, simply because he was a man.

It wasn't the biggest slight in the world, but it certainly made me mad, and it made me understand why we have to pay attention to these things. Ignorance is bliss, and as long as we ignore a problem, it will never go away.

Directing fiction films is a true boys' club. We face the same issues as the women in other male-dominated fields: people are constantly testing us to make us prove our worth, we often have to choose between having kids and having a career, we are told we're "good for a woman", when we just want to be "good". In fact, I would rather just be called a "filmmaker" than a "woman filmmaker" since the latter smacks of a second class. (How often do you hear "She's a genius!" by the way? ...Exactly.)

Countries including Sweden and Spain have instituted quotas in their state funding agencies to help bolster the ranks of female filmmakers. I'm not really in favor of this approach because I think that proposals should be judged by their merit alone, and not by the gender of their creator. The best way to support women filmmakers is to make a point of watching their work; it will only succeed as long as audiences (both male and female) pay to see it.

Here are some women to watch:

Kelly Reichardt

I absolutely loved Wendy and Lucy and can't wait to see Meek's Cutoff, coming soon.

Sophia Coppola

Lost in Translation is a favourite of mine, and I'm very much looking forward to Somewhere, her latest.

Lynne Ramsay

Ratcatcher is a brilliant and haunting work from this UK director.

Debra Granik

Winter's Bone is one I keep harping on. Just go and see it already.

Courtney Hunt

...Same with Frozen River.

Kathryn Bigelow

She was the first woman ever to win the Oscar for Best Director, as well as buck the stereotype of women not being able to direct commercial action movies. I confess I haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet, but it's definitely on my list.

Jane Campion

...you must already know. Still haven't seen The Piano? Shame on you!

Deepa Mehta

Water is my favourite of all her films, but Heaven on Earth is good too. She gets extra points, having received death threats in her native India for broaching the controversial topic of widow's rights.

Jennifer Lynch

Following in daddy David's footsteps must be tough, but Jen's creepy detective thriller Surveillance stands on its own. Unfortunately, it is chronically overlooked and underrated.

Sarah Polley

She gets more than enough media attention here in Canada (token woman, anyone?) but Away From Her is solid. I'm not going to hold it against her that she was famous before she started directing.

Granaz Moussavi

This up-and-comer has the soul of a great artist. At a festival, I saw her recite a poem she wrote at age 19 in three different languages (she translated on the spot). Her debut, My Tehran for Sale, knocks it out of the park.

Sophie Deraspe

I briefly mentioned her film Signes vitaux (Vital Signs) in my post about this year's Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois. It was such a powerful and visionary piece that I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

There! 12 women directors off the top of my head, and not a single romantic comedy. Things must be looking up.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw two great articles about filmmakers mentioned in this post in the Globe:

    One on Deepa Mehta's collaboration with Salman Rushdie: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/deepa-mehta-films-rushdies-midnights-children/article2021293/singlepage/#articlecontent

    ...And one on Kelly Reichardt: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/johanna-schneller/kelly-reichardt-finding-meaning-in-the-space-between/article2021531/singlepage/#articlecontent

    ReplyDelete
  2. More good news:

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/liam-lacey/at-cannes-the-women-have-arrived/article2021254/

    ReplyDelete