Tuesday, February 1, 2011

resolutions revisited

One month into the New Year and fully back in the swing of things, I figure it's a good time to remind myself of the resolutions I made during the holidays when I was feeling well-rested and ambitious. Here they are: 

Be less practical. This doesn’t just apply to my choice of shoes. I have a tendency to self-censor and let concerns over logistics get in the way of a good idea. (Stuff like, “Oh, I can’t write that scene because it will be too expensive to shoot…”) I should let others tell me that something can’t be done instead of thinking it myself.  

Trust in my imagination. Taking the first resolution one step further, this means forgetting about what seems “believable” or “realistic”, and embracing the ideas that seem far-fetched. As good old Robert McKee puts it, “Think the unthinkable, then rationalize it after.” All good fiction is at least a little bit far-fetched, after all. The audience will believe it if it’s well-motivated and makes emotional sense. 

Be more patient. Yes, this applies to grocery checkouts and such, but more importantly it applies to my chosen art form. Making films is not a race; it is a glacially slow process, especially if you have a day job like me. I tend to be overly goal-oriented and get discouraged if I don’t meet my self-imposed objectives. I have learned it’s more satisfying to set goals on short-term basis instead of trying to look years into the future. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in six months if you just keep chipping away for a few hours a week! 

Be more positive. This one explains the quasi-motivational angle of this blog (and the third resolution). As I explained in the very first post, I tend to be the type to question everything, and like many artists, am in the habit of drifting towards negative thoughts. My new outlook leaves a little space for this, but focuses on trying to “snap out of it” at will. The thing about melancholy is that although it can be a source of inspiration, it is also a huge productivity-killer. When you only have one day a week to work on your art, you need to be able to force your productivity into high-gear.  

So, how have I been doing with these so far? Not too bad. Of course I still think things like, “If I had only bought a house ten years ago instead of spending all my money on films…” or, “Who am I kidding? Do I really have it in me?” but I’m trying to retrain myself to forget all of that and focus on the way ahead. Regrets and insecurity will get you nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment